You might have already read a ton of articles about books that promise to change your life. You might have added them to your bucket list or maybe you’ve just ignored them, being very skeptical about them.
I also have a books list for you but guess what : I don’t guarantee you a life changing experience. However I think they will challenge your brain, and they can make you see life in a totally different light. I’ve only chose about 8 books out of many because I was thinking about the intellectual and emotional impact on readers and on me personally.
1. Malcolm Gladwell : ”Blink : The power of thinking without thinking ” which is about our first impression about things and situations and the impact of decisions made in just few seconds ,why some people fail when they don’t follow their intuition rather than reasoning way to much.
2. Malcolm Gladwell : ”The Outliers ”. This is another interesting book about how to become an outlier and what I like the most about it is that you can find statistics like this one : we need about 10.000 hours of practice in order to become exceptional. The author also insists on the genetic inheritance and the social circumstances that can help or that can represent an obstacle while one is trying to become successful. He doesn’t deny the fact that the financial issue matters . You can find more details if you read the book.
3. Lisa Genova : ”Still Alice” . You might have already seen the movie based on this book and you also know that Julianne Moore has won an Academy Award for her role . As always the book offers a very touching life story with many things to learn about the Alzheimer disease. But most of all it helps us understand again and again about how to appreciate our life, how to preserve our memories the best way we can. I know it sounds like a cliché however the emotional impact about how you’re going to see your future might be great.
4. Martha Stout : ”The sociopath next door”. The author has a PhD in Psychiatry at Harvard and obviously this is an amazing book. It includes stories, situations, statistics and you mind find it sometimes abstract because no matter how detailed she describes a sociopath you’ll find hard to have a whole picture about what goes through the mind of such a human being. You’ll find that 4% ( in other books there’s specified 1% only) of people are sociopaths. Isn’t that scary? You’ll also find out that they lack empathy and remorse but above all the main dilemma is: how much of the sociopathic personality is genetically predetermined and how much is it influenced by social events throughout lifetime ( usually childhood and adolescence). Does it have cure? Straight answer :No. Read the book , you won’t be bored.
5. Josh Mc Dowell , Bill Wilson ”He walked among us: Evidence for Historical Jesus. This is from my point of view a masterpiece about Christianity . Not all religious books have enough evidence and few are as documented as this one. You’ll find out historical references about Jesus Christ and archeological ones too all gathered together in order to make you discover in a totally new way the New Testament.
6 .Paul Babiak, Robert D.Hare ” Snakes in suits.” That one is also about sociopaths but about high class ones , it actually describes the corporate sociopath ( you might work for one without being aware of that). The book has an accurate description of the C.E.O psychopaths. Ok don’t get me wrong I don’t want to say that C.E.O.’s are all a bunch of sociopaths ( only a few of them are).
7. Jojo Moyes -” Me before you ” . Ok now you’ll think it’s sugary and why wasting time on such a book. You’ll also think it’s chick lit. It’s very beautiful and unique, it’s about the power of sacrifice related to love but not the way you might imagine. I won’t reveal much about it, you’ll find out throughout reading it.
8. Elfriede Jelinek : ”The piano teacher”. I’ve read the book after watching the movie who won an Award at the Cannes Movie Festival. I loved the film. When I reached the book I couldn’t put it down. The author has won the Nobel Prize for literature in 2004. The main character Erika has a very complex personality , she’ s a little pervert but intriguing , she fells in love with a younger man, she’s a masochist sometimes but paradoxically she can also prove that she’s strong too.
I’ll add some quotes that I liked:
”Every day , a piece of music , a short story or a poem dies ,because it’s existence is no longer justified in our time. And things that were once considered immortal have become mortal again , no one knows them anymore.. Even though they deserve to survive”
‘ ‘Vice is basically the love of failure ”
”The ignorant majority, which does however possess one thing in abundance: It is raring for a fight”
” Strictly speaking there are no holidays for art ;art pursues you everywhere, and that’s just fine with the artist.”
Ok, that’s it for this article. Whenever you face a rainy day or you want to enjoy some nice and profound books you won’t be disappointed .